Sunday, October 23, 2011

Total DIY hair feathers!!

.
So, I'm sure you are aware that hair feathers is one of the latest trends. I wanted to try them out but wanted to DIM (do it myself) :).
.
.
I'm sure if you're on pinterest you've seen this DIY hair feather picture floating around. The original site of this picture is http://elisajoy.com/mclaughlindesigns/2011/06/diy-feather-extensions/. This is the tutorial that I followed.
.
They bought their extensions from an online shop...I took it a step further and made my own feather extensions...total cost...$4.50 and I have plenty of supplies left to make more. I bought a package of feathers and a package of crimp beads (found by jewelry making items). I used the skinniest piece of ribbon that I had at home and a couple beads I already had. I would string my crimp bead onto the ribbon, place it where I wanted the feather then insert the feather and crimp. I'd add one or two beads above the crimp bead. I did this in multiple spots. Once I had my extension the way I wanted it I figured out where I wanted it in my hair and followed the tutorial on the original site and crimped it into place.
.
.
.
I love my total DIY feather extensions and so far they've lasted a couple days through sleeping, washing, and styling. I'm not sure if they'll last as long as store bought or salon placed extensions. I do plan on buying clip in extensions you can find in stores for very reasonable prices and cutting off the clip and actually crimping them in my hair.
.
.
.
With a cute, pink braid. The pink is semi-permanent 4-6 washes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment